Oh, you know...

A little bit of this and a little bit of that in my rollercoaster of a life.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

anchoring

Yes, I'm a big fat liar...I never write nearly as often as I say I will. And you know, that's okay with me. When I was younger, I used to write in notebooks as stress relief to keep myself from thinking I was so messed up I needed to see a professional. I figure this (blogging) is taking the place of that, since I don't write in my notebook much anymore and my life is equally stressful. So, when I feel like I need to let off some steam, I'll add an entry.

Steam for the day: my friend Liz

I'm sure she's steam for many days, as she's a tad different and sometimes I find it difficult being her friend, but I appreciate her companionship and, occassionally, her quirkiness.

Liz had been in a relationship for three years with a guy who was a total a-hole, whose only (but not really) redeeming quality was he didn't physically abuse her. She knew she should leave the relationship she was in, but couldn't bring herself to actually break up with the guy. One day, she realized she had feelings for one of her co-workers. This, of all things, gave her the gumption to finally break it off with the first guy, which was great. However, she proceeded to jump into a relationship with her co-worker, Bob, about a year ago. Nevermind that she had just gotten out of a long-term relationship, didn't really know what she wanted to do with her life and could use some time to figure things out.

Now, Bob is definitely an improvement over the last guy. He's kind, perceptive, asks questions, is interested in the things she is and wants to get to know her friends and participate in activities with her. He's also not the most stable or ambitious person, which isn't necessarily bad, but with my friend being the same way it doesn't make for the greatest combination.

So today's steam comes from a phone call I got earlier from Liz lamenting a dream she had last night about the old guy (who had a job and lived on his own), making her wonder about her current boyfriend's shortcomings (doesn't have a job, has trouble enjoying/holding a job he does get and lives with parents). What do I tell her? Well, of course guy A was a douche, that should be obvious and I can't believe she would forget that. What I didn't tell her was that I really still feel like she can do better than guy B. I don't get his personality and she knows and understands that and it is completely beside the point, but I really think she'd be better off with someone who has more direction in life...or she needs to find some herself. To be honest, I'm afraid for them otherwise. They want to get married and have babies right away and I just don't know how they'll stay afloat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home