Oh, you know...

A little bit of this and a little bit of that in my rollercoaster of a life.

Thursday, August 2, 2007

omg...

I'll be the first to admit I don't handle crises well. I think I get it from my mother.

I was at a company bbq when my boss was like, you gotta see this, you gotta see this. He turned on the TV to channel 5 and we learned the 35W bridge had collapsed. My stomach immediately dropped and I searched around for my bag, desperate to get to my phone. I live with five roommates I adore only six blocks from the University Ave. exit, which was on the north side of the break. If I had any food in me, I probably would have vomited. I called one, two, three, four roommates, leaving messages when my calls weren't dropped, before one of them picked up. Three of them were alright. It took longer to get through to the other two, but they were safe as well. I called my parents eve though I knew they would be out for chores, wanting to let them know I was alright before they saw anything on the news. I don't know if they would remember, but before they started doing construction on the bridge, I would drive over it twice a day to get to and from work. I'd since re-routed to avoid the painful crawl past downtown, but it is just yucky to think about. I got several other calls and texts last night from people who were concerned and wanted to make sure I was okay. Sometimes it's nice to know how loved we are.

Today, instead of taking 8th to Hennepin, I took 4th St. because I had to see if I could see anything. To look south while waiting at a stop light and to see that void there made my heart hurt. I can't even believe so many people are hurt, could have died, must have had horrible nightmares last night. There are still cars in the river they can't find. What a horrible way to die...

I'm so glad everyone I'm close to is safe and my heart goes out to everyone who is affected by this tragedy. I hope it brings our city closer together. Peace.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home